UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS
The University of South Florida is pleased to announce the second annual competition for the "University of South Florida (USF) International Undergraduate Scholars Award". This award will offer scholarships to two outstanding international students who meet competitive selection criteria and who provide evidence of scholarly and leadership excellence.
Each scholarship will provide $15,000 per year for up to four years. Scholarship will be renewable each year based on maintaining a minimum 3.2 GPA semester average. USF International Undergraduate Scholars will be eligible for an additional award of $500 annually as USF Honors College students. Total value of USF scholarship assistance: $15,500 a year x four years.
Estimated expenses for 2006-2007 are $30,000, subject to change. Students will be responsible for all expenses not covered by the scholarship. Please note that this is not a cash award; USF will offer financial credit toward annual tuition expenses.
• Open to international students from all regions of the world whose permanent residence is outside the United States (US citizens, dual citizens, and US permanent residents or pending permanent residents are not eligible to apply);
• Must be applying from outside the US;
• Must begin studies for fall 2006 semester; students seeking spring 2007 semester admissions are not eligible to apply;
• Must be entering as a first time in college student who has never studied at a US or other college/university (Transfer students are not eligible to apply);
• Must provide proof of leadership, community involvement, and academic honors;
Award is renewable annually for up to four years from fall (August 2006) based on the following conditions:
• Maintaining a 3.2 GPA per semester
• Continued enrollment in the Honors College and fulfillment of all Honors College requirements including Final Thesis
• Minimum overall 3.3 GPA to graduate
• Continued participation in community outreach activities while enrolled at USF
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language):
• Minimum 220 CBT (Computer Based Test) OR
• Minimum 560 P/B (Paper-Based) OR
• Minimum 83 Internet Based
STANDARTIZED TEST: STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
• SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test): Minimum 1270 total score (on critical reading and quantitative sections)
• ACT - minimum score of 29
• International Baccalaureate (IB) - minimum score of 35
• "A" Level examinations-minimum of 3 exams.
ETS/College Board official score reports should be sent directly to the University of South Florida (code 5828) and arrive by February 4, 2006 at the latest.
SECONDARY/HIGH SCHOOL GRADE POINT AVERAGE (GPA)
• 3.5 GPA minimum
Applicants must submit translations and official evaluations of their local secondary/high school transcripts. See http://cyber.acomp.usf.edu/iac/admissions/transcript.html for guidelines.
ESSAY One page maximum, typed (no hand written essays will be accepted), in English
Topic: "How will your previous volunteer and leadership experience in your home country help you promote better global understanding and people-to-people diplomacy as an international student leader at USF?"
ACADEMIC HONORS & LEADERSHIP ACTIVITIES
• Academic/leadership awards, honors, or recognition
• Community service, volunteer work, employment, or membership in clubs outside school
• Extracurricular school activities, i.e. student government, student newspaper, school clubs, sports involvement, music club, student mentor
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
• Teacher recommendation
• Outside recommendation such as an employer or supervisor or community service coordinator
• School recommendation such as a guidance counselor, principal, or EducationUSA overseas educational advisor (see http://educationusa.state.gov for an office nearest you)
Submit admission and scholarship application forms listed below:
• USF International Undergraduate Application Form: Complete form
and submit together with your $30 application fee by JANUARY 2, 2006 for
fall 2006 admissions. See http://web.usf.edu/iac/admissions/undergrad.html
• USF International Undergraduate Scholar Award application form:
Complete and submit scholarship application form, official TOEFL and SAT/ACT/IB/A
Level scores, high school transcripts and official evaluations, letters
of recommendations, proof of honors, community involvement, leadership
activities, and essay before FEBRUARY 4, 2006
• Contact Hebert@iac.usf.edu
for complete instructions and scholarship application forms.
• To view a menu of USF resources developed for international audiences, visit http://web.usf.edu/iac/admissions/recruit.html.
• For further assistance with the application process and information specific to your country, please contact your local U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate/Office of Public Affairs for referral to an overseas educational advising center near you, or consult the list available on the U.S. Department of State's website at http://educationusa.state.gov/centers.htm.
Since only two awards will be given, selection will be very competitive. USF will be looking for the best and brightest student leaders from around the world who meet and perhaps exceed our application criteria. The University of South Florida welcomes your interest, and looks forward to receiving your applications!
Deadline for submission of USF international application forms is January 2, 2006. Deadline for submission of scholarship packet is FEBRUARY 4, 2006.
The 2006 announcement, application guidelines, and application form can be found on our website at http://web.usf.edu/iac/admissions/iusa.php.
USF INTERNATIONAL UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARS AWARD CONTACT:
Evelyn Levinson, Associate Director of International Admissions, University of South Florida, firstname.lastname@example.org